2.12 Structure of the Introductory Lesson

Successful Moo Duk Kwan Studio Ownership

2.12 Structure of the Introductory Lesson

The introductory lesson should be structured the same for every student so that there is a predictable set of skills established for the first full class attendance. The introductory lesson can last anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes (30 minutes is often ideal depending on your schedule of activities) and should be a 1:1 (or other family members). The setting should be small so that there is dedicated attention on the new student. There is a wide range of options for content in the introductory lesson. What is represented in this section is one such example. The content for the introductory lesson in this section assumes a skilled practitioner. If someone isn’t as physically coordinated it would be recommended to reduce the amount of content and perform more repetitions. An alternate structure for kids/less coordinated students will be summarized below. It is highly recommended that you print off handouts for the students following the lesson so they have a reminder of what was covered and can practice on their own. Key terminology and etiquette should be included. The following key topics can be covered (The example below would most likely be aligned to a 45-60 minute session):

I. Etiquette

II. Basic Hand Techniques

III. Stance u0026amp; Walking the floor

IV. Basic Kicking Techniques

V. Basic Self-Defense

VI. Class Closure

VII. Review of Next Steps and Class Schedule

For kids or less coordinated students the structure of introductory lessons could be:

Lesson 1 (45-60 minutes)

I. Etiquette

II. Making a proper fist

III. Choon Bee stance

IV. Hand basics in place (Low block, Punching, High block)

V. Kicking (Front Stretch, Front kick)

Lesson 2 (45-60 minutes)

I. Etiquette

II. Review of previous material

III. Walking in stance

IV. Hand basics in place (Inside-outside block)

V. Kicking (Inside-outside kick)

Lesson 3 (45-60 minutes)

I. Etiquette

II. Review of previous material

III. Hand basics walking in stance (all previous blocks and punches)

IV. Kicking (Round kick)

V. Self-defense

Introductory Lesson Script

[Smile and shake hands with the new student]

“Hi ______________. Good to see you this evening. Thanks for coming in. We’re going to go through your first introductory lesson. In doing so I’m going to show you the salutations, show you the processes we follow, and get you moving with your first hand and kicking techniques, and self-defense. This first introductory lesson will help you be prepared for your first class with other students.”

Etiquette

“So first thing is to salute the flags. This will allow us to enter and leave the training area. Any time we come across the training floor we salute. Turn towards the flag, feet together, and put your hand to your heart. [Perform this action with the student to create the model picture] We hold that for a moment, then hand back down to your side.”

[Motion the student over to the center of the dojang] “Why don’t you come over to this spot and face me. We start each class with an opening ceremony.” [Go through the normal class opening – Kuki Bae Rae, meditation]

“Let’s face together and bow, Kyung Ret. We do that as a sign of respect and greeting, just like we did shaking hands at the beginning of the lesson. [Bow] That’s excellent!”

Basic Hand Techniques

[Face the student]

“Ok, ________________, we’re going to start with some basic hand techniques.”

“Start by putting your feet shoulder width and stand comfortably. Place your hands out front, palms up, and curl your fingers into a fist with your thumbs over the outside. Your thumbs are the major area of support for your fists. Turn your hands over. Striking area is just the first two knuckles.” [tap the student’s fist where the knuckle contact area should be]

“Pull both hands back to your sides with your palms up. We call that chamber position. Say ‘Chamber’ . We always start with the left side first, so extend your left hand [you do mirror image with right hand out] in front of you to make a punching position. Now we’re going to do extension and retraction. [perform punching for a 4 count, counting along with the student] Check your chamber hand so that it’s about the same height as the front fist. In middle punches we aim for the solar plexus.”

“Now raise your fist up to just under your nose level and we’re going to perform high punches. One, Two, Three, Four.”

“Let’s go back to attention position with your hands at your sides. We’re going to do our first ready position, called Choon Bee. Say ‘Choon Bee’ . Hands cross, step out to the left, and

exhale down. We’re going to repeat that a few times. When you exhale down, make a ‘Ha’ sound. [repeat the whole process 3 times including the repetition of Korean terms].

“Now let’s repeat the punching exercise. Pull hands back into chamber. Say ‘Chamber’ . Extend the left hand out punching. When you put the punch out, you should make an exhale. Every time you move you should use your breath.” [perform 3-4 punches with the student mirror image].

“Let’s now do two punches on each count.” .”

“Now let’s do three punches on each count . Excellent! Shake out your arms.”

“Let’s start again from the ready position. Feet together in attention. Say ‘Choon Bee’ . Hands cross, foot out, exhale down. Pull hands back into chamber, Say ‘chamber’. . What side do we always start with?” [Run through single, double, triple punches – 1-2 repetitions each quickly. Emphasize the breathing.]

“Go ahead and drop that hand down to your waist level. We’re going to go through your first block, called low block. What’s this hand over here called? [motion to chamber hand – student repeats]. Let’s bring that chamber hand up to the shoulder, and block down. Chamber hand up to the shoulder, then block down. We always start from the chamber hand since you already blocked with that low hand [demonstrate the right way then the wrong way]. [repeat this several times]. Excellent!”

“Now bring your hand into the middle of your body [ahneso pahkeuro mahkee position]. We’ll keep the terms easy for now – we had low block before, this is middle block. Hand across your body, and block around. [perform 4 repetitions].”

“Now bring your hand up above your head. We call this high block. Bring the arm across the body, and block up. [repeat 4 times. Depending on how advanced the student is you can have him/her connect elbows at preparation or not]. Excellent! Now shake your arms out.”

Stance and Walking the Floor

“_______________, now we’re going to go through your first stance and how to walk the floor.”

“Attention position. Say ‘Choon Bee’ , arms cross, step out then exhale down.”

“Put your hands out in front of you like you’re riding a bicycle. We’re going to learn the first stance so we can advance. [step next to the student facing the same direction]. We always start with which side? . We’re going to step straight out with the left leg, and bend your knee into front

stance. When we advance our feet go in then back out [demonstrate the feet coming together then out sliding across the floor]. Excellent. One more time. [perform 2-3 steps].”

“Now we’re going to turn around. If I just turn my body and keep my feet in place, what happens? [demonstrate how you’re facing the wrong direction] We’re off at an angle, right? So when we turn to the rear, look to the rear, then slide the back foot over and turn around. That gives us the right width of stance. We should always be shoulder width for the stance. Make sure your knee is bent so that 60% of your weight is on the front leg, 40% on the back leg.” [walk back the other direction for 2-3 steps following the same process of sliding feet together, then out.]

“Excellent! Now look to the rear, slide the foot over, then turn around. Put your hand out in front of you in punching position, then the other hand back into chamber. Step forward 1, then punch 2. [perform 2-3 steps up performing middle punch]. Now look to the rear, slide the foot over, turn around, then extend the hand into the punch. Excellent!” [perform 2-3 steps back with middle punch, then turn back around.]

“Take your hand and drop it down low for low block. We’re going to do the low block walking. Put your chamber arm up to the shoulder, step forward, then block down. Now let’s do the other side. Chamber hand up, step forward, then block down. [perform 2-3 steps up]. Now let’s look to the rear, chamber hand up, foot over, turn, then block down.” [perform 2-3 steps back, then turn around]. Good!”

“So what was the next block we learned? . Ok, so bring your hand to the middle. Same thing as before, we’re going to use the whole side of the body for the block and step, bring the chamber hand across, step forward, then block. Excellent!” [perform 2-3 steps up, turn then perform 2-3 steps back then turn.]

“Last block. Bring your hand up high to perform high block. Chamber hand under, step forward then block up. [perform 2-3 steps up, turn, then 2-3 steps back and turn]. Excellent!”

“From there we pull back to the baro position, which our ready position. Pull back, cross the arms, then breath down. Shake it out. Excellent! Feet together, and bow – Kyung Ret.”

Basic Kicking Techniques

“We’re going to go into some kicking, _____________. Before we get going it’s important to be stretched and ready to avoid muscle pulls. Let’s start with 20 jumping jacks [perform with the student]. Why don’t you reach down and touch your toes with your feet at shoulder width while I go get some kicking targets.” [hand held kicking targets are best used for this exercise].

“That’s pretty good – you already have some good flexibility. Put your feet together and touch your toes [stretch with the student in front]. Now make a fist and see if you can touch the knuckles on the floor. The third one you should work on is to touch your palms to the floor. Go work on that at home – make sure your legs are warmed up beforehand with some light hopping or jumping jacks.”

“Let’s go to our ready position – say ‘Choon Bee’ , hands cross, leg out and breath down with the ‘Ha’ sound. We’re going to place our left leg back with a Ki Hap. That’s the sound you hear people make in class. Say ‘Ki Hap’ . When we step back our hands are going to be up to protect ourselves, like this [demonstrate hand posture and demonstrate sliding back into Bal Chagi Choon Bee with Ki Hap]. Let’s go together, left leg back with a Ki Hap. Excellent!”

“What we’re going to do is to swing the back leg up then back down. We call this a front stretch kick. You’re going to do those stretch kicks to the target I’m holding. [Count to ten, emphasizing to keep breathing out when the foot touches the target. Slowly start raising the target as the student gets warmed up.] Excellent. Can you stand up for me and see how high you were kicking. [Show the height attained and walk the target up to the student’s head.]”

“Okay let’s go back to the attention position. Say ‘Choon Bee’ , hands cross, foot goes out and breath down. Let’s go back with the left leg back into kicking posture with a Ki Hap – shi jak. Now we’re going to switch feet with a Ki Hap, like this [demonstrate]. Now you do it – shi jak. Let’s do the front stretch kick with the right leg. [follow same process as before]. That’s excellent now switch feet with a ki hap.”

“Next kick we’re going to do is an inside-outside kick. Legs come together and draw a circle up and around [demonstrate and have the student perform with you]. I’m going to hold the target and you’ll kick over it, making a nice circle. [count to five in Korean] Excellent.”

“Now you’re going to kick over this target and strike down on the second target with your heel. [hold one target in each hand so that the student will kick over one and come down on the other. Count to 5 in Korean, making sure the student makes contact.] Excellent. Now switch feet with a Ki Hap. Now we’re going to do the same process on this side. The first five you’ll kick over the target then the next five you’ll kick over and strike the second. [perform same process as before. Be sure to emphasize making a smooth circle by turning the body.]”

“Now switch legs with the Ki Hap. The last kick we’re going to do today is the front snap kick. Bring the back knee up, extend out, back, and down. Want you to kick the target nice and light and get a feel for the kick. [count to five on each side]. Excellent job. We’re going to back to a ready position. Say ‘baro’ , foot draws back, hands cross, foot goes out and breath down. Hands at the side attention position, and shio.”

Basic Self-Defense

“Alright _____________, we’re coming up to the end of your introductory lesson. We’re going to work on a self-defense grab. Say ‘Choon Bee’ , cross the hands, foot goes out, then breath down. I’m going to ask you to reach across with your right hand and grab my right hand. We’re going to expand the fingers and hand. Which is easier, to get someone to release with one finger or with four?

That’s right – one finger. So we’re going to go our thumb over yours. Start with raising my fingers up towards your eyes [demonstrate extending fingers and pointing them up]. Now I’m going to step in with my right foot and point my elbow towards you. I’m going to use that same hand to chop up to your neck, palm heel up to your jaw, strike to the groin, then pull back in defensive position. Then we’ll both draw back into baro. Hands cross, foot out, and breathe down. We’re going to do this together a few times without partner then you’ll get to try with me.”

[stand next to the student facing the same direction]. “Say ‘Choon Bee’ , hands cross, foot goes out, then breathe down. Place your right hand in front of you with your fingers extended. Image someone is grabbing your wrist here. Point your fingers up towards their eyes. Step in and point the elbow. The other hand, bring it up to the chamber position. We’re going to have an even weight distribution so bend both knees to feel comfortable. Now use the hand you just released and extend up to the neck. We call this a Soo Do. Let’s do that just a few times [repeat the Soo Do 2-3 times]. We use the chamber hand to come up under the chin for a palm heel strike. Then twist the body to do the groin strike. Then pull back to the chamber. Pull back, cross the hands, and exhale down. We always come back to the ready position, much like bookends. We start and finish in ready position.”

“Put your right hand out in front of you, fingers towards the eyes, step in and point the elbow, with the hand back in chamber. Hand out Soo Do, under the chin, below the belt, then retract. Pull back baro.” [perform one more repetition without partner].

“Now we’re going to do that same drill together. We always start with a bow, then Choon Bee [perform bow and Choon Bee]. I’m going to have you challenge me one more time so you can see it. [describe the same key points as above and demonstrate with the student the whole process].”

“Now I’m going to challenge you. [walk through the process again and have the student perform the self-defense]. Pull back, baro. Excellent! Let’s try again.” [have the student perform 2 more repetitions].

Class Closure

“Feet together at attention, and bow. Let’s do some warm down stretches [work the hamstrings and quads]. Excellent work, _____________. At the completion of class we say Kam Sahm Ni Da. . We finish off the class with closing ceremony. [perform closing ceremony]. The last thing we do is hold the right hand up and say ‘Soo Bahk’ . Excellent job!” [shake hands].

“We’re going to finish up now. Why don’t you go in the back changing room and get changed out. When you get back I’ll give you a schedule of classes, and we’ll schedule your second introductory lesson and start looking ahead to your first class with other beginning students.”

Review of Next Steps and Class Schedule

“_______________, you had an excellent first lesson! How did you feel that it went? Great! Let’s schedule your next introductory lesson. I have _____________ or ____________ open. Would either

one of those options work for you? Great! Let’s look at the class schedule. Under the program you’re signed up for, you can participate in the following classes… Which class do you think you’ll attend first? Excellent! I’ll make sure the instructor covering that class is aware and will be looking out for you. From now until your next introductory lesson you’ll need to practice what we did tonight/today at least once per day to keep everything fresh. If you need an additional resource you can go look online at the Soo Bahk Do® Institute and look at the white belt materials up on the site. You have a discount code with this card for your reference [provide SBDI card]. Be sure to practice the stretching exercises we did today. You’ll start increasing your flexibility when you stretch before and after a workout.”

“Once again thanks for coming in today/tonight. You did very well! I’ll see you next on _____________.” [shake hands and walk the student to the door]

Skip to toolbar